One of Julia’s favorites. Julia Child’s French Potato Salad is wonderful all by itself or as the centerpiece of classic Salade Nicoise. Adapted from GMA.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise Recipe video. For more great recipes using Idaho Potatoes, check out their website.
Ingredients for Julia Child’s French Potato Salad:
2 pounds Idaho Burbank Russets
2 Tablespoons scallions, finely minced
Salt & fresh black pepper
1/4 cup chicken stock (or potato-cooking water)
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 – 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons light olive oil, optional
NOTES: Makes one quart. This French Potato Salad will keep 1-2 days, covered in the refrigerator. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise video.
1) Fill a three-quart saucepan half full with cold water.
2) Peel potatoes and cut into equal-sized pieces. Drop potato pieces into the water, to prevent discoloration.
3) Drain out the water, then add clean cold water to cover, and the salt.
4) Bring to a simmer, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
5) Drain out the cooking water. Cover and set aside for 3 to 4 minutes (but no longer than five), to allow the slices to firm up.
6) Uncover the potatoes and season while still warm.
7) In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes with scallions, stock or cooking water, vinegar, and parsley.
8) Let the mixture rest 10 minutes or so, tossing gently several times.
9) Correct seasoning, toss with the optional oil, and the potatoes are ready for serving. If using oil, let sit for 1/2 hour at room temperature before serving.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise video.
Great receipe,I grew up on Julia.Love the potato salad,so light and flavorful.!Thankyou!