Le Cordon Betty is in summer session. Julia Child’s classic Salade Nicoise is an entree salad that will leave you satisfied and quite possibly smarter. Adapted from GMA.
Ingredients for Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise:
1 quart French Potato Salad
1/2 cup Oil and Lemon Dressing
1 head of lettuce, trimmed, washed and dried
2 – 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, blanched and chilled
3 ripe red tomatoes, quartered and seasoned
8 ounces oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
1/4 cup black olives
1 – 2 Tablespoons capers, rinsed
NOTES: I omitted fresh chopped parsley because the French Potato Salad has enough for my taste. I also did not add 1 can flat anchovy filets packed in oil, but adding anchovy paste to the dressing may be something I try in the future. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise video.
1) Make the French Potato Salad.
2) Make the Oil & Lemon Dressing.
3) Line a large platter with lettuce leaves.
4) Place a generous amount of the French Potato Salad in the center of the leaves.
5) Toss the green beans in a mixing bowl with a little dressing. Arrange on top lettuce leaves at strategic intervals.
6) Season the tuna with a spoonful of the dressing. Arrange on top lettuce leaves, also at strategic intervals.
7) Arrange tomatoes and sliced hard cooked eggs.
8) Scatter olives and capers as desired.
9) Spoon dressing over top and serve immediately.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Julia Child’s Salade Nicoise video.