There is nothing wrong with craving a hearty, comforting bowl of Turkey Chili with Lentils before leftovers from the big meal are even put away. After all, Turkey Chili with Lentils may be one of the best things about Thanksgiving.
For starters, Turkey Chili with Lentils is a great use for leftover turkey, which might be on your radar about now. What’s more, it’s made in one pot. So mess is kept to a minimum. And you definitely can’t say that about the big meal.
Get in on the ONE-POT MEAL MAYHEM this month with the Shine Supper Club!
Ingredients for Turkey Chili with Lentils:
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced, seeded jalapeno
1 TBSP minced garlic
1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
3 cups shredded turkey
3 strips crisp bacon
1 TBSP chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
29 ounce tomato sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Garnish:
This one-pot preparation makes about 8 cups chili. I used about 2 cups of shredded dark meat and one cup shredded white meat turkey, leftover from this Cajun Roasted Turkey.
1) Cut bacon into pieces and crisp in a tall sided pot.
2) Remove bacon pieces from pot and drain on a paper towel.
3) To the pot, add the onion, carrots, celery and jalapeno; saute over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
4) Add the rinsed lentils to the sauteed vegetables; cook and stir 5 minutes more.
5) Reduce the heat, add minced garlic and continue cooking and stirring.
6) Add the shredded turkey, crumbled bacon, and combine well.
7) Season the mixture with chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin and black pepper.
8) Add the chicken broth and bring to a gentle boil.
9) Stir in the tomato sauce and return to a gentle boil.
10) Check for seasoning and add salt (about 1/2 teaspoon).
11) Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until lentils are softened.