WATCH THE VIDEO!
Lentils are super healthy. They are also a great source of protein, iron, fiber and folate — which are great for pregnant women. To say I’ve eaten my share of lentils over the last 9 months is an understatement.
Take this basic Tomato Lentils Recipe a number of directions by altering the spice combination or by adding shredded or ground chicken or beef.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentils:
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup diced sweet peppers
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 TBSP minced garlic
1-2 handfuls fresh spinach
3 cups diced tomatoes in juice
1-2 TBSP chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
salt & pepper to taste
Makes 4-5 cups. To vary the taste, experiment with different spices such as Italian herb blend or curry powder. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the Tomato Lentils Video.
Directions for Tomato Lentils:
1) In a saucepan over medium heat, saute diced carrots, onion, sweet peppers and spicy peppers just until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
2) Add washed and sorted lentils.
3) Stir in fresh spinach and garlic.
4) Add diced tomatoes and their juice and bring to a bubbling.
5) Add spice blend of your choice (cumin and chili powder, as seen in the video).
6) Reduce the heat, cover and allow to simmer until desired tenderness, 30-45 minutes. Check the lentils halfway through cooking time and add water or stock if needed.
7) Taste and adjust seasoning/salt.
8) Serve piping hot, topped with sour cream, shredded cheese and diced onion, fresh cilantro or even a fried egg.
Don’t miss a video… SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE!