Click for printer-friendly version!
Souper! I have always loved Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Of course, like most Americans, I grew up eating the stuff of Warhol paintings. There is still a special place in my heart for the red and white can, not to mention it’s perfect earthquake emergency kit material. Preparing your own Tomato Soup isn’t difficult and it’s lower in sodium. Puree all the veggies you want into the soup and no one will be the wiser. The bread and cheese combinations for Grilled Cheese are endless. Have fun with it!
Ingredients for Creamy Tomato Soup:
3/4 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
15 ounces organic tomato sauce
3 – 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
3/4 cup roughly diced onion
1/2 cup roughly diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup roughly diced carrot
1/4 – 1/2 cup half n’ half
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon roughly sliced garlic
salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
2 slices (per sandwich) bread of your choice
1/2 – 3/4 cup (per sandwich) shredded cheeses (Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pecorino Romano and Parmesan)
heavy skillet to set on top of sandwich, on top of grill (If you don’t have a grill or grill pan, use 2 skillets.)
NOTES: Makes about 5 cups soup. For added spice, try 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or maybe some Sriracha. If your tomatoes are tart, add about a teaspoon of sugar. A finishing drizzle of basil oil is a nice way to elevate the tomato soup; artisan bread and gourmet cheeses also “grow up” this childhood favorite.
DIRECTIONS FOR TOMATO SOUP:
1) Saute red bell pepper, carrots and onion seasoned with salt & pepper over medium heat.
2) Add parsley and garlic (and crushed red pepper flakes if desired).
3) Add chopped tomatoes and 1 cup broth.
4) Allow to gently boil for 5 minutes.
5) Stir in can of tomato sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6) Ladle mixture into blender and puree until smooth. Add up to 1 more cup of broth while pureeing.
1) Return puree to pot over medium-low heat.
2) Stir in additional 1/2 – 1 cup broth and 1/4 – 1/2 cup cream.
3) Taste and adjust salt/seasoning. Keep hot (covered, on low, stirring occasionally) while grilling sandwiches.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE GRILLED CHEESE:
1) Brush bread slices with olive oil.
2) Top with shredded cheeses and place on a medium-high grill.
3) Place a heavy skillet or saucepan on top of sandwich.
4) Rotate sandwich on grill for prettiest grill-marks.
5) Grill until golden and crisp and the cheese is melted inside.
6) Serve with Tomato Soup. Share and enjoy.
AVERAGE BETTY AT THE GRILLED CHEESE INVITATIONAL 2009