Meatless Monday not necessary. The first time I made Potato Tacos for a get-together knowing I had Vegetarian friends attending, I made a sign that said, “Tacos de Papa.”
Everyone was intrigued. “What are they? Potato? Really?”
Even the die-hard carnivores at the party gave the crunchy, meatless tacos a try. My Veggie friends suggested next time I make Tacos de Papa, I label them “Meatless” or “Vegetarian” so they won’t have to fight the meat-eaters for them!
Ingredients for Potato Tacos:
10-12 ounces Idaho Potatoes peeled & cubed (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
2 ounces queso fresco cheese
1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt & pepper to taste
12-16 corn tortillas
Ingredients for Avocado Relish:
1 ripe avocado, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1-2 tablespoons diced jalapeno
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 small tomato, seeded & diced
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
salt & pepper to taste
NOTES: Makes 12-16 tacos. Garnish with shredded lettuce or cabbage and your favorite hot sauce or salsa. I generally work in small batches making Potato Tacos because corn tortillas can be volatile. I microwave 3 tortillas, flicked with water and covered for 20-30 seconds, then make those three tacos. Keep small batches of tacos crisp and warm in the oven, 250(F). For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Potato Tacos video.
Prepare the Potatoes:
1) Peel and chop Idaho Potatoes.
2) Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
3) Lower the heat and cover saucepan with lid.
4) Cook 5-7 minutes, until al dente.
5) While the potatoes cook, saute chopped onion and jalapeno until soft and golden.
6) When the potatoes are cooked, drain water.
7) Using a fork, combine potatoes with sauteed onion and jalapeno, queso fresco, cumin and salt to taste.
Prepare the Avocado Relish:
1) In a bowl combine diced avocado, chopped onion, diced jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat), chopped cilantro leaves and stems, diced tomato, salt, pepper and lime juice.
2) Set aside until ready to use.
Prepare the Tacos de Papa:
1) Heat or steam corn tortillas and carefully fill with potato mixture.
2) Fold tortilla to form taco.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil in a skillet.
4) Fry tacos on both sides until puffed, golden and crispy.
5) Garnish with shredded lettuce or cabbage, avocado relish and your favorite hot sauce or salsa.
6) Share and enjoy.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Potato Tacos video.