Click here for printer-friendly recipe!
A cookie so simple and fun, no one can eat just one. Sugar and butter. Rolling pin, cookie cutter. Be sure to make a ton!
Ingredients for Shamrockin’ Sugar Cookie Dough:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Green Tea Glaze:
For 1 dozen cookies:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp strongly brewed green tea or 1 tsp matcha
Make the dough.
1) In an electric mixer cream butter, sugar and salt.
2) Add vanilla and egg.
3) Add flour and mix.
4) Gather dough and pat smooth. For best results, chill dough overnight in the refrigerator.
Make the cookies.
1) Lightly flour board, rolling pin and cookie cutter.
2) Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
3) Cut into shapes.
4) Place on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 325(f) oven for 13 minutes. Cookies will be pale on top and slightly golden on the bottom. Allow to cool before icing.
Make the glaze.
If not using matcha, which gives a more robust green tea flavor, prepare strong green tea. Use one tea bag per 3 tablespoons water. Muddle with spoon to make even stronger.
1) In a mixing bowl, run whisk through powdered sugar to remove lumps.
2) Add green tea or matcha to powdered sugar.
3) Whisk vigorously.
4) Carefully glaze and decorate with sugar and sprinkles.