Click here for printer-friendly recipe!
A cookie so simple and fun, no one can eat just one. Sugar and butter. Rolling pin, cookie cutter. Be sure to make a ton!
Ingredients for Shamrockin’ Sugar Cookie Dough:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Green Tea Glaze:
For 1 dozen cookies:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp strongly brewed green tea or 1 tsp matcha
Make the dough.
1) In an electric mixer cream butter, sugar and salt.
2) Add vanilla and egg.
3) Add flour and mix.
4) Gather dough and pat smooth. For best results, chill dough overnight in the refrigerator.
Make the cookies.
1) Lightly flour board, rolling pin and cookie cutter.
2) Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
3) Cut into shapes.
4) Place on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 325(f) oven for 13 minutes. Cookies will be pale on top and slightly golden on the bottom. Allow to cool before icing.
Make the glaze.
If not using matcha, which gives a more robust green tea flavor, prepare strong green tea. Use one tea bag per 3 tablespoons water. Muddle with spoon to make even stronger.
1) In a mixing bowl, run whisk through powdered sugar to remove lumps.
2) Add green tea or matcha to powdered sugar.
3) Whisk vigorously.
4) Carefully glaze and decorate with sugar and sprinkles.
Your cookies are very cute! So very festive for St. Patrick’s Day!
These look GREAT! Love them!
Betty cooks too! ;) Those cookies look so cute!
Average Betty says
Thanks, Tami, HoneyB and Farina! Quite the comments comin’ from y’all! xoxo
Green Tea Health Blog says
Love your post!! Finally someone got it right!!! Would you mind if I put a blogroll link back to your post? :)
Carol S says
Cookies look so good. Green Tea is an excellent ingredient for all kinds of fixins. If you are looking for a few weight loss tips after your done with the cookies try a nice cup of green tea, it’s great for burning a few extra calories.
May I ask whether will the glaze dry up?
Average Betty says
It sure does! Let me know if you give them a try :)