Click for printer-friendly version!
Molten Burrito Nirvana. Though I’m fairly certain there is no Official Sandwich of Southern California, I think the burrito is a great candidate. Versatile, flavorful, portable and loved by just about everyone, the burrito is suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on what you roll inside. For added instruction and entertainment, watch Burrito Harmony – How to Make Grilled Steak Burritos & Guacamole.
Ingredients for Grilled Steak Burritos:
4 burrito size flour tortillas
1 pound top sirloin, or similar
1 small onion (optional)
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup Mexican rice (recipe follows)
1 cup pinto, refried or black beans (suggestions follow)
1 recipe Guacamole
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo:
1 tbsp diced, seeded jalapeno
1 tbsp diced onion
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 cup diced, seeded tomato
2 tsp fresh lime juice
salt & pepper
Notes: Makes 4 large burritos or 8 smaller burritos. Because “burrito size” tortillas vary, keep in mind that these proportions may not be suitable for your tortillas. Remember to keep the ratio of ingredients you roll inside the tortilla in proportion and you will achieve Burrito Harmony. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the video.
1) Prepare the Mexican Rice. In a saucepan heat 1 tsp oil and add 1/2 cup rice, 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1-1/2 tbsp salsa. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir and cover. Turn the heat down to low and allow to cook for 17 minutes. Do not lift the lid or stir during cooking. Fluff rice with a fork when done. Makes 1 1/2 cups rice.
2) Prepare the Beans. For pinto/refried beans, I like to combine one can refried beans and one can drained pinto beans. Add two pieces cooked bacon and allow to simmer over low heat.
3) Prepare the Pico de Gallo. Make the Guacamole at the same time; the ingredients are identical with the exception of avocado. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4) Prepare the Grilled Steak. Season to taste and grill to desired temperature. I prefer a medium temperature (because with the skillet/grill finish on the burrito it will cook further) and a simple seasoning of salt, pepper and chipotle powder. Grill other veggies such as onion and pepper, too.
5) Roll the burritos! On a flour tortilla, layer harmonious amounts of beans, cheese, meat, grilled veggies, pico de gallo and rice. With wet fingertips, fold over sides of the tortilla and roll up. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the video.
6) Make the Molten Magic. Place rolled burritos in a hot skillet or grill. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
7) Share and enjoy. Serve with Guacamole and your favorite hot sauce.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch Burrito Harmony – How to Make Grilled Steak Burritos & Guacamole.