Potato Cup Frittata!
Not since the paper cup has there been this much innovation in a cup! In this recipe, I’m filling Potato Cups with a Spicy Mexican Frittata but the fun doesn’t have to end there. If you can bake it in the oven or pile it on a sandwich, you can probably put it in a Potato Cup! For added instruction and entertainment, watch the Potato Cup Frittata video.
Ingredients for Potato Cups:
2 ten ounce Idaho Russet Potatoes
1 tbsp flour
1-2 tbsp oil
salt & pepper
Ingredients for Frittata:
1/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced jalapeno
1/4 cup cream (half-n-half)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup crumbled or shredded cheese
1-2 tbsp green chiles
1/2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste
Notes: Makes 12 Potato Cups and filling. This is a very basic Potato Cup recipe. Try adding other herbs, seasonings or shredded cheese to suit your taste. Potato Cups can also be baked completely and filled for an extra crunchy appetizer. Frittata combinations are only limited by your imagination. For this Frittata, I used Queso Fresco, a soft Mexican cheese, garnished with halved, grape tomatoes and served with mashed avocado, salsa and sour cream. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the video.
1) Peel and grate two, ten ounce Idaho Russet Potatoes. Rinse shredded potato and squeeze or strain to remove excess water. TIP: A squeeze of lemon will keep your potatoes nice and white.
2) Toss shredded potato with flour, olive oil, pepper, and salt. Add other seasonings or shredded cheese to suit your taste.
3) Brush or spray a 12 cup muffin pan with oil.
4) Press the potato mixture into the bottom and up the sides to form cups. It’s OK if the potato pieces stick up, because the cups will shrink while baking.
5) Bake the cups in a preheated 375(F) oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want your cups to be.
6) While the cups are baking, prepare the Frittata. Saute onion, jalapeno and red bell pepper in one teaspoon oil, just until soft. Allow to cool slightly before adding to eggs.
7) Beat the eggs vigorously and add the sauteed vegetables, cream, cumin, cilantro, green chilies and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
8) Take the potato cups from the oven and distribute egg mixture. Return to the oven and continue baking until eggs are set 10-15 minutes.
9) For added instruction and entertainment, watch the video.
10) Share and enjoy.
MY POTATO CUP RUNNETH OVER…
Eggs Benedict Potato Cups: Follow directions for the cups, above. For the filling, combine eggs, lemon juice, Canadian Bacon, dash hot sauce and shredded cheese. Bake just until eggs are set. For an extra decadent treat, top with a drizzle of Hollandaise Sauce.
Chicken Curry Potato Cups: Bake Potato Cups all the way through until golden and crispy. Sprinkle with a little salt when fresh from the oven. Allow to cool and fill with your favorite chicken or seafood salad. Could you imagine a Potato Cup filled with steak, onions and cheese? OMG! Philly Cheese Steak Potato Cups!
What will you put in your Potato Cup? Watch the Potato Cup Frittata video.
Jen (The Domestic Diva) says
This looks amazing! I could eat like a hundred of those!
Miss you–will you be in LA any time soon?
Average Betty says
Thanks, Jen! I think I did eat about 100 of them :)
You know I live in LA, right? Hope to see you this weekend at The Taste!
I can’t wait to try these tomorrow morning. They look delicious!! :D
Made these tonight to have for lunches this week…they smell SO good, I can’t wait for lunch tomorrow! :)
wow this recipe is awsome! I could eat every day Thanks fort this greate idea!
wow. They looks absolutely delicious. Will try them tonite for sure.
plasterer bristol says
This sounds lovely. Going to give this a go. thanks for sharing this recipe.