WATCH THE VIDEO!
Welcome to Grits California. Such a yummy side, such a creamy dish.
I didn’t grow up eating grits, but I’ve been fascinated by them lately. I remember a box of instant grits lurking around the house once as a kid, but grits were not a staple in our home. So what’s a grit-craving novice to do?
Tell your fellow grit-novices that you can make grits taste like crusty top mac n’ cheese and call them Grits California. Sold.
Ingredients for Grits California:
3/4 cup stone ground white grits
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup milk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
salt & pepper to taste
NOTES: Serves 4-6. Total cooking time, with stirring and broiling, about an hour. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the Grits California video.
1) In a sauce pan, over high heat combine water, 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
2) When the water comes to a boil, slowly add the grits, stirring the whole time.
3) Turn the heat all the way down, cover and occasionally lift the lid to stir.
4) After 20-30 minutes, season with salt and pepper and stir in butter and 3/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
5) Cook and stir until desired texture, about 15 minutes more. Add more milk as needed for desired creaminess.
6) Spoon grits into individual ramekins or a small casserole.
7) Top with panko breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese.
8) Place under a preheated broiler until the tops are crisp and golden.
9) Enjoy immediately.
Check out these other GREAT GRITS:
Banana Maple Grits Recipe
Creole Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Maple Bourbon Bacon, Grits and Eggs
BBQ Pot Roast over Cheddar Ranch Grits Recipe
Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry says
I didn’t grow up on grits either, but I could sure eat a side of this! Yum!