WATCH THE VIDEO!
Calling the process of baking fresh Rye Bread fast + easy, is somewhat misleading. “Faster + Easier” may have been a better title.
What makes this Fast + Easy Rye Bread Recipe, faster is that there is no sponge required, which can require an additional 4 hours of fermenting. Easier, because I’ve selected ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen.
This Fast + Easy Rye Bread Recipe produces a soft, yet sturdy loaf, perfect for slicing and sandwiches.
Ingredients for Fast + Easy Rye Bread:
2 cups dark rye flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1 TBSP yeast
1 cup water
2 TBSP brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup canola oil
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
3/4 cup dill pickle juice
2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons caraway seeds, toasted and crushed
1) In an electric mixer with a dough hook attached, add 1 TBSP brown sugar and warm water (about 120 F).
2) Dissolve sugar and gently stir in yeast.
3) Allow yeast to bloom and mix in dark rye flour.
4) Continue mixing on low and stream in canola oil.
5) Add remaining brown sugar and begin adding all purpose flour.
6) Mix in Dijon mustard and stream in pickle juice.
7) Add flour until a firm, yet sticky dough forms. Add salt towards the end of dough processing.
8) Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
9) Cover and allow the dough to double in size, about 2 hours.
10) Punch down, reshape and form into an oiled loaf pan. Split top with knife if desired.
11) Allow to rise in the loaf pan until puffed over top, about 1 1/2 hours.
12) Bake in a preheated 350(F) oven for 20 minutes. Rotate and bake an additional 20 minutes or until desired golden brown color. Internal Temperature of the loaf should be 190(F).
13) Allow to cool in the loaf pan on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
14) Flip out of loaf pan onto wire rack and allow to cool.
15) Slice and enjoy.
MAKE A REUBEN!
Griddled Rye Bread with Corned Beef, Russian Dressing, Swiss Cheese and Sauerkraut.
MAKE A RACHEL!
Griddled Rye Bread with Spicy Brown Mustard, Roast Turkey, Swiss Cheese and Coleslaw.