Click for printer-friendly version!
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Chip Cookie:
1 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pure vanilla or extract
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate chips for a sweeter vibe)
Ingredients for Hot Fudge:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla or extract
2/3 cup half-n-half
Notes: Makes 3-4 dozen cookies and one and one half cups hot fudge. To make the sundae, you’ll also need the ice cream of your choice, chopped walnuts or other toppings.
Make the cookie dough.
1) In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars.
2) Add baking soda and salt.
3) Add vanilla and eggs, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl when needed.
4) Add cocoa powder.
5) Mix in flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
6) For best results, chill overnight in the refrigerator or place dough in the freezer for at least one hour before making cookies.
7) Bake cookies in a preheated 365 (F) oven for 10 minutes.
Make the Hot Fudge:
1) In a saucepan over medium – low heat, melt chocolate chips and butter. Stir frequently so the chocolate does not scorch.
2) Add sugar. Mixture will become grainy. Incorporate sugar completely before adding cream.
3) Add vanilla and incorporate completely.
4) Gradually stir in cream (half-n-half).
5) Cook mixture stirring frequently. When mixture begins to bubble slightly, cook for 8 minutes more, stirring more often. If bubbling becomes excessive, turn the heat down to low.
6) Remove from heat and pour into a heat resistant bowl. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Makes about 1 1/2 cups hot fudge. Store covered and refrigerated for 1-2 weeks. Sugar will begin to crystallize after 1 week. To reheat, microwave 20 seconds, stir and repeat as needed. Fudge still has the potential to scorch in the microwave… be careful!
Make the Sundae:
1) Place a piping hot, fresh-from-the-oven cookie on a plate.
2) Scoop a single serving of ice cream on top of cookie.
3) Top with a generous serving of hot fudge.
4) Garnish with walnut pieces.
5) Share and enjoy.