Close your eyes. You can almost smell it.
Savory and sweet, this unique combination of seasonings creates a flavorful, juicy ham. Fresh from the oven, it’s an elegant main course. Piled high on sandwiches and enjoyed with Macaroni Salad, it’s the star of your springtime picnic.
Ingredients for Molasses Ginger Baked Ham:
One 10-12 pound Bone-in Farmer John Half Ham
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup grainy deli mustard
1/2 cup strongly brewed chai tea
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1 TBSP finely minced ginger root
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
black pepper to taste
NOTES: Makes about 3 cups glaze. Experiment with different dried and fresh fruit and fruit preserves. I used a 10 pound Bone-in Farmer John Half Ham for this recipe; baked for approximately 2.5 hours. Be sure to remove and discard bone guard before preparing and baking.
1) Trim the ham. Using a sharp knife, carefully trim and discard the outer layer.
2) Make the glaze. In a bowl, combine all ingredients except the brown sugar.
3) Glaze the ham. Place ham in a prepared baking pan, cut side down. Pour half of the glaze over trimmed ham.
4) Pack brown sugar around the outside of the ham and pour remaining glaze carefully over the ham.
5) Cover and bake in a preheated 325-350 (F) oven, according to instructions on the ham based on weight (approximately 15 minutes per pound until warm). Once per hour, remove ham from oven, uncover and carefully baste ham with glaze from bottom of pan. After basting, cover and return ham to the oven until warmed through and internal temperature is approximately 145(F).
6) Allow the ham to rest, covered for 5-10 minutes before carving.
7) Bring the excess glaze to a boil. Strain and return to a gentle boil. Skim fat from top of glaze and serve glaze with ham. Glaze thickens as it cools.
Share and enjoy.
Molasses Ginger Baked Ham Recipe developed by Sara O’Donnell for Farmer John on behalf of Golin Harris.
Average Betty was compensated and supplied one Bone-in Farmer John Ham for this promotion. Farmer John products are sold in California, Nevada, Arizona and Hawaii.
Virgie's Place says
Too bad I’m allergic to Pork :-( this looks really Yum.
The look of this ham makes me want to have a picnic right now.
And I like the idea of the chai tea in the glaze.
I need to try that recipe.
Average Betty says
Let me know if you give it a try, Jan! I have to say, I don’t have too much experience baking whole hams but this one was moist and flavorful :)