Tailgating doesn’t have to be just burgers and dogs. And what’s better than a tailgating feast that practically makes itself? Get out the slow-cooker and prepare to amaze your friends with this Cuban inspired Garlic Citrus Pulled Pork Shoulder! The secret isn’t just in the slow-cooking… it’s in the sauce!
Get more great tailgating inspiration and play Pork’s Repin-to-Win Pinterest Sweepstakes for the chance to win a $250 Kroger gift card! All you have to do is repin one of the recipe images on Pork’s Tailgating with Pork and Kroger board with the hashtag #TailgatingWithPork. Sweepstakes ends October 13th. Read the official rules here.
Cuban Inspired Garlic Citrus Pulled Pork Recipe
4-6 pound boneless Pork Shoulder
For the Rub:
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons aleppo pepper (or similar, mild chili powder)
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
For the Garlic Citrus Sauce:
20-30 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 medium brown onion, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon cumin
3 small bay leaves
3 TBSP key lime juice (or lemon/lime juice)
1 TBSP key lime zest (or lemon/lime zest)
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup orange juice
Serves 4-6. Makes about 2 cups Sauce. Serve shredded Pork Shoulder with sliced onion and remaining Garlic Citrus Sauce. Consider serving with fried sweet plantains, black beans and rice.
Rub the Pork Shoulder:
1) In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the rub and create a paste.
2) Rub paste all over clean, dry pork shoulder.
Brown the Pork Shoulder:
1) In a hot skillet or grill pan, sear all sides of pork shoulder.
2) Place seared pork shoulder in slow-cooker.
Make the Sauce:
1) In a saucepan, heat a teaspoon of olive oil to medium.
2) Add sliced onion and saute 10 minutes until softened and slightly caramelized.
3) Add garlic and saute one minute more.
4) Add orange juice, key lime juice, key lime zest, cumin and bay leaves.
5) Stir and heat until bubbling. Cook 10 minutes more.
6) Remove from heat and remove bay leaves.
7) Pour mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth.
Cook the Pork Shoulder:
1) Pour about ½ cup of sauce over pork shoulder in slow-cooker.
2) Cover and set slow-cooker on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve shredded Pork Shoulder with sliced onion and remaining Garlic Citrus Sauce. Consider serving with fried sweet plantains, black beans and rice.
SCORE BIG AT YOUR NEXT TAILGATE PARTY WITH PORK FROM KROGER!
To celebrate the tailgating season, Kroger Grocery Stores are offering discounts on all your favorite cuts of Pork.
Visit the meat case at your local Kroger and check out Kroger.com to view special offers exclusive to your area.
Average Betty is proud to have developed this recipe for The National Pork Board’s #TailgatingWithPork campaign.
Don’t miss an instructional video… SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE!
Katy Powers says
I didn’t see in the directions what to do with the chicken broth. I just put in with meat in slow cooker but wondered if it it was to be with the sauce. Please let me know.