Click for printer-friendly version!
I certainly wasn’t expecting 2011 to start off with body aches, congestion and a mound of tissues piled to the ceiling. But, when the tough get sick, the tough wiggle into their slippers and make their own Chicken Noodle Soup. You can spend a lot more time making Chicken Noodle Soup– and you can spend a lot less. Either way, you are sure to feel better with a piping hot bowl of this classic.
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Noodle Soup:
1-1/2 cups chopped, boneless chicken
1 cup linguine (about 2-1/2 cups cooked)
1 medium carrot
2 stalks celery
1/2 medium red onion
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp dried parsley
6 cups liquid (water and chicken or vegetable broth)
black pepper, salt/soy sauce to taste
NOTES: Makes about 8 cups prepared soup. I usually use 1-3 cups chicken broth in addition to the water, then season to taste with salt or soy sauce. The more chicken or vegetable broth you use, the less salt you will need to add later. If you happen to have cooked chicken or linguine (or other noodle) on hand, this recipe is even faster and easier. Store refrigerated up to one week; noodles will absorb broth. Adjust liquid when reheating.
1. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces. Dice carrot, celery, red onion. Mince garlic.
2. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a heavy soup pot and heat to medium. Saute chicken pieces until browned and set aside.
3. Add diced carrot, celery and red onion to the pot and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in dried parsley and garlic. Add cooked chicken back to pot.
5. Add liquid, scraping any bits of flavor stuck to the bottom of the pan and bring to a gentle boil. Allow to simmer about 10 minutes more. A longer simmer time results in more a more flavorful soup.
6. Break linguine noodles in quarters, if desired, and add to soup. Continue boiling gently until noodles are softened, about ten minutes more.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning.
8. Serve piping hot and feel better :)
Search terms: chicken noodle soup recipe, how to make chicken noodle soup, homemade chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup like Campbell’s, easy soup recipe
Mmm, this sounds great. I like to use rotisserie chicken and add some poultry seasoning to my chicken noodle. and a little cayenne pepper gives it a nice kick! cleans out the sinuses!