Fruity, sweet and cinnamon-y. Like fresh apple pie straight from the oven, Oatmeal Apple Muffins are a great way to start the day and perfect for snacks. Make a batch and pop them in the freezer for convenience. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Oatmeal Apple Muffins Recipe video.
Ingredients for Oatmeal Apple Muffins Recipe:
1 cup oats (quick or regular)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
1 large apple (peeled, seeded, shredded – at least 1 cup)
NOTES: Makes 12-14 muffins. For a sweeter muffin, increase brown sugar to 1 cup. For a more fiber-packed muffin, replace 1/4 – 1/2 cup of oats with wheat germ or oat bran. I have successfully used 2 1/2 cups shredded apple in these muffins (about 3 small apples). If you do not have buttermilk, add 2 teaspoons white vinegar to a measuring cup. Fill with milk to the 3/4 cup mark. Allow to sit for a few minutes before adding to oats.
How to Make Oatmeal Apple Muffins:
1) Preheat oven to 350(F) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2) In a bowl combine oats (and wheat germ, wheat bran if using) and buttermilk.
3) Add beaten egg and vanilla and combine thoroughly.
4) Add oil and mix again.
5) Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
6) Gently fold in flour, taking care not to over mix.
7) When flour is nearly incorporated, fold in the shredded apple.
8) Carefully spoon batter into muffin cups, filling nearly full.
9) Bake in a preheated 350(F) oven for 20 minutes or until golden, puffed and fragrant.
10) Share and enjoy.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Oatmeal Apple Muffins video.