Click for printer-friendly version!
This recipe for Seafood Spinach Dumplings with Shrimp and Spinach in a Tapioca Wrap is courtesy of Chef Luong Nguyen; Xino, Santa Monica. I fell in love with this dumpling at first bite. Delicate flavors are tucked inside a wrapper made from tapioca flour. After steaming, the texture is unlike the gyoza or potstickers you may be familiar with. I crave this dumpling and I bet you will too.
Watch Xino U Want It! for added instruction and entertainment.
Ingredients for Dumpling Filling:
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb baby spinach
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 pinches finely ground black pepper
Ingredients for Dumpling Wrapper:
4 cups Tapioca Flour
1 cup water
For the filling:
1. Sweat garlic and ginger with olive oil.
2. Add spinach and cook down. Set aside to drain away excesses liquid and cool.
3. Chop shrimp finely in a food processor or with a knife to create a chunky paste.
4. Fold spinach into the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
For the wrapper:
1. Boil water, mix with tapioca flour to form a dough.
2. Portion dough into 1/2 oz ball and roll out to wrap shrimp and spinach into dumplings
3. Steam for 6 minutes & serve with truffle oil.