Click for printer-friendly version!
This dish was prepared by Xaver Praxmarer, Senior Executive Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines at Honey Summit 2011. It was one of my favorites of the day. The Tagine of Lamb recipe was originally published in Modern Moroccan by Ghille Basan (Aquamarine 2003). Chef Instructors, Almir da Fonseca and Patrick Clark of The Culinary Institute of America paired the Tagine of Lamb with an Almond and Dried Fruit Couscous (recipe also follows) as part of the delicious Honey 101 curriculum. See more savory and sweet CIA dishes that showcase honey and learn more about Honey 101 here.
Ingredients for Tagine of Lamb with Star Thistle Honey Broth:
2-1/4 lb. Shoulder of lamb, boneless, trimmed and cubed
2-3 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 oz ginger root, fresh, peeled and chopped
pinch Saffron threads
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 onion finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1-1/2 cups Prunes, pitted, soaked for one hour
2 tbsp Star Thistle Honey, clear
salt & pepper
Notes: Serves six.
1) Put the meat in a flameproof casserole or heavy pan. Add the oil, ginger saffron, cinnamon, onion, garlic and seasoning, then pour in enough water to cover. Heat until just simmering, cover with lid and simmer gently for about 2 hours, topping up the water if necessary, until the meat is very tender.
2) Drain the prunes and add them to the tagine. Stir in honey and simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced.
Almond and Dried Fruit Couscous
1 cup almonds
8 tbsp olive oil
6 cups instant couscous
6 cups water
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup currants
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1) Melt butter in a large skillt, add almonds and toast.
2) Add the couscous and stir over medium heat until grains are heated through.
3) While toasting the couscous, bring water to a boil and add the salt, honey raisins, sugar and cinnamon.
4) Pour the boiling water mixture over the couscous and cover.
5) Fluff the couscous with a fork. Serve under vegetable stew or as a side dish.
Xaver Praxmarer, Senior Executive Chef, Carnival Cruise Lines