Click for printer-friendly version!
This dish was prepared by James Barrett, Executive Chef of the Westin Annapolis for Honey Summit 2011 at The Culinary Institute of America. It was one of my favorites of the day. Delicate Halibut, thick Grilled Bacon Steaks and Fava Beans with Melted Leeks create a crescendo of hearty, crave-able flavors. See more savory and sweet dishes that showcase honey here and here.
Ingredients for Seared Halibut:
48 oz halibut filet (8, six ounce portions)
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp shallot, minced
3 oz pinot grigio
1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp orange zest
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
2 oz honey, orange blossom
2 oz chicken stock
4 oz heavy cream
1/4 lb butter
salt & pepper to taste
Notes: Serves eight.
Directions for Seared Halibut:
1. Pre-heat oven to 450(F).
2. Generously season halibut with salt and pepper. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
3. Heat teflon pan on medium-high heat.
4. Add vegetable oil and sear halibut to golden brown.
5. Turn halibut over and place pan in oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes until done.
6. Remove pan from oven and fish from pan. Allow fish to rest.
7. Return pan to heat. Add shallot and garlic to pan. Cook to translucent.
8. Deglaze pan with pinot grigio.
10. Add orange juice, zest, vanilla, honey and chicken stock. Reduce to 4 ounces.
11. Add heavy cream and reduce by half.
12. Stir butter in to sauce with a wooden spoon quickly using care not to break sauce.
13. Serve immediately.
Grilled Bacon Steaks
Ingredients for Grilled Bacon Steaks:
8 pieces smoked slab bacon steaks
4 oz buckwheat honey
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp shallots, rough chop
Directions for Grilled Bacon Steaks:
1. Rub bacon with buckwheat honey on both sides to coat evenly.
2. Place bacon on grill to mark both sides.
3. Transfer bacon to heavy bottom pot with chicken stock, leftover honey and shallots.
4. Bring liquid to a boil, cover pot and cook in a 250(F) oven until bacon is tender, approximately 2.5 hours.
5. Remove pan from oven, remove bacon ensuring evenly glazed.
6. Serve with seared halibut.
Fava Beans with Melted Leeks
Ingredients for Fava Beans with Melted Leeks:
2 cups fava beans, shucked, hulled and blanched
3 leeks, topped, split, washed and julienned
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp shallot, minced
2 tbsp butter
2 oz chicken Stock
2 oz pinot grigio
salt & pepper to taste
Directions for Fava Beans with Melted Leeks:
1. Heat saute pan over medium-low heat.
2. Melt butter. Add shallot, garlic and leeks.
3. Season and cook, continuously stirring until leeks are transparent.
4. Add chicken stock and pinot grigio.
5. Reduce by 3/4. Add blanched fava beans and reduce to dry.
6. Adjust seasoning and serve.
James Barrett, Executive Chef of the Westin Annapolis making halibut magic in the kitchen of The Culinary Institute of America, Greystone.