Click for printer-friendly version!
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Roy Yamaguchi shares his recipe for Sous Vide Pork Pork Belly, Swiss Chard and Potato Ravioli, Paprika Sauce and Sauerkraut.
See more from the Food & Wine Festival Palm Desert here.
Pork Belly Preparation:
Remove skin from belly.
Cut the belly into 12 inch long by 2.5 inch wide pieces
Ingredients for Brine:
green apples (chop up in robot coupe till it’s a paste
onions (chop up in roube coupe till it’s a paste)
Directions for Pork Belly:
1. Mix together sugar, salt, bay leaf, peppercorn and caraway seed
2. Sprinkle salt/sugar and spice mix on pork belly.
3. Then rub the pork belly with ground up apple and onion. (two parts apple to one part onion)
4. Lay pork belly in large tub and pour in apple cider to cover. Then add next layer of belly and repeat the process. Allow to marinate over night.
5. Rinse off belly. Pat dry with a towel. Place in a bag with a 2 ounce piece of butter and a sachet bag filled with parsley, peppercorn, bay leaf, juniper berry
6. Then Sousvide for 48 hours at 61.
7. Sear pork belly until crisp and golden. Cut pork Belly- 2.5 inch by 10 inches.
Ingredients for Ravioli:
-Double Zero flour
Ingredients for Ravioli Filling:
swiss chard (washed, stem cut thinly, leaves rough chop)
Russet potatoes (peeled and medium diced)
Black Pepper- fresh cracked
NOTE: . 5 oz of filling per ravioli-small square
Directions for Ravioli:
1. Saute the garlic and shallots over med low heat- don’t brown
2. Next add the swiss chard and then the potato.
3. Cover pan and slow cook the mixture. Remember to make sure to stir every couple minutes so it doesn’t stick. Potatoes will start to crumble when they are cooked
4. Took one hour to make.
5. Season with salt and pepper- Place in perforated pan and allow to cool. Mixture will firm up due to the starch from the potato.
Ingredients for Paprika Sauce :
Dark chili powder
short rib braising liquid
Directions for Paprika Sauce:
1. Sauté shallots in vegetable oil. Add papriaka and chili powder lightly toast. Deglaze with white wine. Reduce alcohol out.
2. Add short rib liquid and natural. Add small amount of toasted ground up caraway seed.
3. Allow to reduce, taste and adjust seasoning with papriaka, chili powder, etc.
4. Whisk in sour cream. You will need a lot of sourcream. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Blend and strain through a chinois.
6. Might need to add a small amount of red wine vinegar.
Ingredients for Sauerkraut :
Pork braising liquid
Smoked ham hock
caraway seeds( lightly toasted and ground up in spice grinder)
onions( no loner then 1.5 inches)
cabbage (savoy)- cut the cabbage into six pieces removed the core and cut thinly sideways- Pieces of cabbage should be no loner then 2 inches
white wine vinegar (infused with apple juice, juniper berry, and caraway seed, strain out the body)
pork spare ribs(st Louis)
Directions for Sauerkraut:
1. In a large rondo we browned off the pork ribs individual pieces (season with salt and pepper) Add the ham hocks.
2. Next add the onions and lightly caramelize.
3. In a separate pan lightly brown the garlic with veg oil
4. Cover the meat and onions with shredded cabbage. Reduce heat and cover with a sheet pan.
5. Come back in five minutes add small amount of browned garlic, caraway seed and infused vinegar, and pork braising liquid
6. Cover with sheet pan. Come back stir and taste. Add more vinegar if needed.
7. The cook time should be about 35 minutes. Remember low and slow. Season with salt and pepper afterward.
8. Remove the pork ribs and ham hocks. Cook in some pork braising liquid until tender.
9. Remove ribs allow to cool to room temp. Remove from bone – also remove knuckle and any fatty pieces. Place meat off to the side. Repeat process for the ham hocks when they are tender.
Plate the dish:
Garnish with Pag cheese (Paski Sir) and Chervil.
(Pag is similar to Edam cheese. Available from Murrays, New York and online.)