WATCH THE VIDEO!
As you might know, I’m not the biggest fan of microwave cooking because it is SO #MICROWONKY. For a little more time and effort you can make legit Red Velvet Cupcakes, but… if you need a quick cake fix… or a quick Valentine’s gift, this Red Velvet Mug Cake is pretty good.
My biggest complaint about cake made in the microwave is that it is rubbery. This recipe omits the flour and oil and, if not over-cooked, has quite a good texture. Well, for cake made in the microwave that is. :)
Ingredients for Red Velvet Mug Cake:
1 large egg
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 TBSP softened butter
2 TBSP softened cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
few drops vanilla
Makes one microwave mug cake and frosting. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the Red Velvet Mug Cake Video. Recipe inspired by Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake.
Directions for Red Velvet Mug Cake:
1) In a standard size microwave safe mug, beat the egg.
2) Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
3) Add vanilla, vinegar, red food coloring and a pinch of salt.
4) Combine well.
5) Microwave on high for approximately 1 minute. Remove from mug and allow to cool.
Directions for Cream Cheese Frosting:
1) In a bowl combine butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2) Sift in powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3) Add a pinch of salt and a few drops of vanilla.
4) Spoon into a plastic bag with a corner snipped off and pipe onto cooled cake.
5) Top with sprinkles and enjoy.
Don’t miss a video… SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE!