Behind Bars. It’s a bread! It’s a cake! It’s a bar! Pumpkin Bars are a cross between a quick bread and a cake. Loaded with pumpkin, spiced with cinnamon and ginger and topped with a delicate cream cheese frosting, Pumpkin Bars are one of my favorite treats. And while they’re delicious fresh, Pumpkin Bars get better after a day in the fridge. Believe it. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Pumpkin Bars Video.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bars:
1 – 15 ounce can pumpkin
1 cup flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp (sea) salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bar Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
Notes: Makes one 9×9 pan of Pumpkin Bars. Cuts into 60+ bite-sized pieces. Line baking pan with wax paper, parchment or non-stick foil for easy removal from pan. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Watch the How to Make Pumpkin Bars Video for added instruction and entertainment.
Directions for Pumpkin Bars:
1) In a bowl whisk together flour, light brown sugar, powdered ginger, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cloves and cinnamon.
2) Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3) Add pumpkin, beaten eggs, vanilla and oil.
4) Stir gently, just until combined.
5) Pour into a lined 9×9 baking pan and bake in a preheated 350(F) oven for 30-35 minutes.
6) Allow to cool, in the pan, on a wire baking rack.
7) When cool enough, lift the bars from the pan and continue cooling on wire baking rack.
8) When completely cooled, frost.
Directions for Pumpkin Bar Frosting:
1) Combine softened cream cheese and butter.
2) Sift in powdered sugar and whisk together.
3) Add vanilla and milk (as needed for consistency).
4) Whisk until smooth, pearly and perfect spreading consistency.
5) Spread frosting evenly on top of cake and cut into bite-sized squares.
Share and enjoy.