WATCH THE VIDEO!
Potato Waffle Croque Monsieur? It’s a mouthful all right.
The squares on waffles are genius. Butter and syrup combine in individual holding tanks until sliced, allowing sweet goodness to ooze. Thankfully, the same genius applies to other varieties of waffles and different oozy sauces.
Completely decadent any time of day, the Potato Waffle Croque Monsieur is a crisp Idaho Potato Waffle, topped with Bechamel sauce, thinly sliced Ham, Dijon mustard, Gruyere cheese and a hint of cayenne. Add a fried egg for a Croque Madame.
Ingredients for Potato Waffle:
2 cups shredded Idaho Russet Potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
Ingredients for Béchamel:
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Croque Monsieur:
1 Recipe Potato Waffle
1 Recipe Bechamel Sauce
4 slices ham
1 cup shredded Gruyere
Dijon mustard to taste
pinch cayenne pepper
Serves 4. Potato Waffles can be used for just about any kind of open-face sandwich, the only limit is your imagination. For a fluffier Potato Waffle, add 1 TBSP vegetable oil to the batter. For a sweeter Potato Waffle, add 1 TBSP vegetable oil and increase the brown sugar to 1 TBSP.
Directions for Potato Waffle Croque Monsieur:
Prepare the Bechamel Sauce:
1) In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
2) Add flour to make a roux. Whisk until light golden and smells nutty.
3) Add milk and continue whisking until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
4) Stir in salt and remove from the heat.
Prepare the Potato Waffle:
1) Preheat waffle iron to medium/medium-high.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine shredded potato and flour.
3) Stir in beaten egg and buttermilk.
4) Add baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
5) Spoon, then spread, the potato batter into the waffle iron and bake until desired crispness.
6) Break waffle into 4 pieces.
Make the Croque Monsieur:
1) Preheat oven to 400(F).
2) Place waffles on a baking sheet.
3) Spoon a few tablespoons of Bechamel Sauce over each waffle.
4) Top Bechamel with a thin slice of ham.
5) Add a squiggle of Dijon mustard on top of the ham.
6) Add shredded Gruyere cheese and another drizzle of Bechamel.
7) Finish with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
8) Place into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes until the waffle is crisp and the cheese is melted. If you prefer a more crusty cheese on top, broil for a few additional minutes.
9) Garnish with fancy cut green onion and fresh tomato slices or a green salad.
10) To turn your mister into a ma’am, add a fried egg on top.
Never miss an instructional cooking video! SUBSCRIBE to my channel on YouTube.