Have an Idaho Russet and a microwave? Then you can make a crispity-crunchity stack of Potato Chips in your microwave! Seriously!
This recipe and accompanying video was inspired by the very microwonky post from Emma Christensen at The Kitchn. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Microwave Potato Chips Video.
Ingredients for Microwave Potato Chips:
6-8 ounce Idaho Russet Potato
Vegetable Peeler, sharp knife, mandoline
Microwave Safe Plate
NOTES: Makes about one cup of potato chips, depending on potato size. More information on MICROWONK.
Directions for Microwave Potato Chips:
1) Wash and dry a small to medium Idaho Russet Potato.
2) Peel the potato if desired.
3) CAREFULLY slice potato into the thinnest slices possible using a mandoline or your best knife skills. Watch the video for another tip on getting super-thin potato slices.
4) Rinse the potato slices in cold water.
5) Thoroughly dry the potato slices.
6) In a bowl, toss the potato slices with a small amount of oil. If you have spray oil, you can use that too.
7) Line a microwave safe plate with parchment paper or paper towel.
8) Place the potato slices on the paper. Don’t let the slices touch or they will stick together.
9) Sprinkle potato slices with a little salt.
All microwave ovens vary. Microwave carefully!
10) Place into microwave and cook for two minutes.
11) Remove plate from microwave and carefully flip each potato chip over.
12) Place back into microwave for two minutes more. Potato Chips towards the center of the plate may cook faster, remove if necessary so they do not burn.
13) Continue cooking at 20 second intervals as needed, until desired color and crispiness is achieved. When the chips are crisp, they’re done. One medium potato makes about a cup of chips.