An egg cooked in butter might not sound like anything fancy. But believe it or not, the method of slowly cooking eggs in butter was developed by Master French Chef Fernana Point (1897-1955) in the 1950’s.
And there’s certainly no denying a perfect fried egg can elevate a plate of wild rice and asparagus, whether it’s #MeatlessMonday or not. No matter how you like your egg, sunny side up, or over-medium, at only 70 calories, it’s a great protein choice for vegetarian entrees.
Get in on the #MeatlessMonday Madness!
Ingredients for Egg Cooked in Butter with Asparagus and Lemon Garlic Wild Rice:
2 Safest Choice Eggs
14-20 Asparagus spears
1 recipe Lemon Garlic Wild Rice (follows)
1 TBSP butter
Ingredients for Lemon Garlic Wild Rice:
2/3 cup wild rice
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped sweet bell pepper
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
salt & pepper to taste
Serves 2. I used a Basmati Wild Rice Blend. For more history and a step-by-step tutorial on Eggs Cooked in Butter, check out this article and continue reading for my method. Start by preparing the rice, fluff and keep warm. Then, if possible, prepare the asparagus and eggs at the same time.
Directions for Lemon Garlic Wild Rice:
1) In a saucepan over medium heat, saute mushrooms, peppers and rice in olive oil, approximately 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic and stir, add lemon juice and vegetable broth.
3) Bring to a gentle boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
4) Cook 20 minutes and fluff with fork to serve.
Directions for Asparagus:
1) In a pan, saute over medium heat for 5 minutes in a small amount of olive oil.
2) Season with salt and pepper.
Directions for Eggs Cooked in Butter:
1) In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 TBSP butter. Move the butter around the pan to coat.
2) Carefully crack eggs into pan.
3) Season with salt & pepper as desired.
4) For sunny-side up, cover with a lid and allow to cook slowly, about 4 minutes. Lift lid and spoon some of the butter over yolk. Return lid for one minute. Remove from pan.
5) For over-medium, flip eggs after 3 minutes and remove from pan after 2 more.
To serve: Spoon rice onto plate, top with asparagus spears and finally with the egg.
The Average Betty Test Kitchen developed this recipe on behalf of Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs.
Safest Choice sources eggs from vegetarian-fed hens that are hormone and antibiotic free, from USDA certified and inspected Kosher certified farms.
The Safest Choice all-natural egg pasteurization process eliminates the risk of salmonella in eggs before the eggs even enter your kitchen.
Don’t miss a video… SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE!