WATCH THE VIDEO!
Potato Kugel is a baked casserole most commonly prepared in a 9×13 dish. And with such a large surface area, the most coveted crunchy corner pieces are at a premium. These Individual Potato Kugel maximize the crunchy exterior while preserving a creamy interior.
Makes an impressive side dish for braised short rib – or keep things vegetarian and serve with braised mushrooms.
Ingredients for Individual Potato Kugel:
5-6 cups shredded Idaho Russet Potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes)
1 cup shredded onion (1 large onion)
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, heated, plus extra for brushing ramekins
Makes approximately 6 entree sized kugel or 12-15 appetizer sized kugel. Recipe inspired by Jamie Geller’s Potato Kugel Cups. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Individual Potato Kugel Video.
Directions for Individual Potato Kugel:
1) Peel and grate potatoes and submerge shreds into cold, clean water to prevent from turning brown.
2) Peel and grate onion.
3) Drain water from potato shreds throughly. Squeeze excess water out with a kitchen towel if needed.
4) In a bowl combine shredded potato and onion.
5) Fold in beaten eggs and salt.
6) Add heated olive oil to potato mixture.
7) Brush ramekins with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
8) Place ramekins and baking sheet into preheated 375(F) oven until ramekins and oil are heated, about 10 minutes.
9) Carefully fill heated ramekins with potato mixture.
10) Return to 375(F) oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Individual Potato Kugel Video.
For more great recipes using Idaho Potatoes, check out the Idaho Potato Commission Website.
Don’t miss a video… SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE!