Click for printer-friendly version!
Easy, fresh, spicy and sweet. This family recipe for Curry Rice Salad makes an appearance every summer. Whether it’s piled high next to a rack of ribs, creating a bed for grilled chicken kabobs or corralling saucy baked beans, it’s a welcome addition to any paper plate. This recipe usually gets doubled or tripled for big gatherings and there are always leftovers that seem to get better the longer they spend in the fridge. Add shrimp or chicken for a heartier, entree salad and don’t forget to apply your sunscreen liberally.
Ingredients for Curry Rice Salad:
3 cups cooked white rice
1/4 cup diced sweet pepper
2 tbsp chopped green onion
1 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
5 oz chopped artichoke hearts (fresh or canned)
1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
Ingredients for Curry Lime Dressing:
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
2 tsp madras curry powder
salt & pepper to taste
Notes: Makes about 4 cups rice salad. Use brown rice or other grains to suit your taste. Toasted almonds add crunch. Five ounces artichoke hearts is approximately 6 small hearts. Substitute 1 teaspoon dry parsley for fresh, if needed. Add chicken or shrimp for a heartier salad.
1) Cook rice according to package directions and allow to cool completely.
2) To the rice, add sweet pepper, green onion, fresh parsley and artichoke hearts. Toss.
3) In a bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk well.
4) Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss.
5) Stir in raisins, nuts or other additions.
6) Cover and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
7) Serve and enjoy.