Caramelized Onions. You knew this was coming didn’t you?
I’ve been craving the Warm Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart from Balthazar Restaurant in New York City. And I still am. You might say this little lesson in caramelizing onions is foreshadowing… and you’d be right!
Ingredients for Caramelized Onions:
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
1 Tablespoon liquid for deglazing
salt & pepper
NOTES: Makes about one and a half cups caramelized onions. For deglazing, use chicken broth/stock, balsamic vinegar or dry white wine. Watch the How to Make Caramelized Onions Video, give it a thumbs up and please subscribe to my channel on YouTube.
Directions for Easy Caramelized Onions:
1) Peel and slice (or dice) onions into even sized pieces.
2) Heat oil in a tall-sided skillet over medium heat.
3) Add onions all at once and spread into an even layer in the pan.
4) Allow to cook without stirring for 5 minutes.
5) After 5 minutes, stir and allow to keep cooking, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the onions turn a deep caramel brown. Adjust heat to prevent burning, if needed.
6) When onions have achieved desired color, after 20-25 minutes, deglaze pan with about a tablespoon of liquid.
For added instruction and entertainment, watch the How to Make Caramelized Onions Video.
THERE’S MORE THAN ONE WAY TO DO IT:
How to Caramelize Onions from Cooking on the Weekends
How to Caramelize Onions from Simply Recipes
The Food Lab: A Better Way to Caramelize Onions from Serious Eats