Click for printer-friendly version!
Chef Adam Cho of Rick’s Cafe at Loews Lake Las Vegas was kind enough to share this recipe for his Chinese Five Spice French Toast which I had the sheer joy of trying when I attended Spice Skool. Chef Cho serves his French Toast with thick-cut, chocolate covered bacon and ginger ice cream. This breakfast treat was served as our dessert course at Spice Skool, but not surprisingly, it tastes great at any time. For more information on Spice Skool, read my story and get more info Loews Lake Las Vegas.
Ingredients for Chinese Five Spice French Toast:
4 whole eggs
1 teaspoon of cloves
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Szechwan pepper corn (or black peppercorn)
1 teaspoon of ground star anise (or fennel or anise seed)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 pieces of thick cut brioche bread or day old French bread
1. In a bowl whisk all the ingredients together. Make sure eggs are creamy and spices are incorporated throughout the batter.
2. Heat up a non stick pan or griddle to medium heat.
3. Dunk bread in one at a time and make sure to coat the whole thing. Place on pan or skillet with a little butter.
4. Cook both sides until golden brown.
5. Serve with maple syrup, ginger ice cream or a pat of butter.